on October 1, 2021 on Twitter
8 months, 8 states, 8 photos and 8 stories
with the hashtag #Route66Smiling will start on Twitter on October 1, 2021.
It’s a challenge just for fun, but also to support Route 66 businesses and people along the Mother Road by inspiring Route 66 Travelers from around the world to get back as soon as travel is safe again.
- 8 months = there’s an ongoing challenge for this period of time, with 18 different themes, changing every fortnight
- 8 states = Route 66 is going through 8 states
- 8 photos = at the end of the challenge we’re going to have 8 photos, that stand out from the others and will be shared in our blog together with a presentation of the photographer
- 8 stories = also here, the most interesting 8 stories will be shared in our blog and the author presented in a blog post
To participate you need to
- use the hashtag #Route66Smiling + one of the below hashtags – depending on the state from which the photo of Route 66 is:
- add the location and name the attraction (you may also want to add a hashtag of the location and attraction – not a must, but very welcome)
- share only single photos from Route 66 (even though twitter allows up to 4 photos in 1 tweet – to qualify for the challenge, please post only one photo per tweet
- tag your host @66Travelers and @TimeTraveler911 + co-hosts to be mentioned with the posting of the new theme
- follow @66Travelers on Twitter
- themes are going to change every fortnight, the new theme will be announced the evening before it is going to start
An example of correctly tagging a photo of the Blue Swallow Motel in Tucumcari, on Historic Route 66 in New Mexico which is shared for the theme “Historic Motels” … below the photo.
You could also tag #Tucumcari and #BlueSwallow, but that is up to you. All the other tags are needed to qualify.
Share the photo with your friends and also inspire them to get back on Route 66.
Save the following starting dates
- October 01 – 14
- October 15 – 28
- October 29 – November 11
- November 12 – 25
- November 26 – December 09
- December 10 – 23
- December 24 – January 06
- January 07 – 20
- January 21 – February 03
- February 04 – 17
- February 18 – March 02
- March 03 – 17
- March 18 – 31
- April 01 – 14
- April 15 – 28
- April 29 – May 12
- May 13 – 26
Every new theme for the next fortnight is going to be announced the evening before the new theme is starting.
(for October 1, the theme will be announced by September 30, for October 15 by October 14 … and so on)
The winner photo and author
We’re not looking for the most liked or for the most retweeted, but for the subjective opinion of the hosts and co-hosts of their most unique and interesting photo and story of the fortnight, that should inspire other Route 66 Travelers and make them get back onto the road.
Every correctly tagged tweet will be added to a Twitter Moment with the name of the fortnight’s theme. On the last day of the fortnight, hosts and co-hosts will select the tweet that is most interesting and unique for them.
The author of the tweet is going to be added to a special Twitter List : Best of #Route66Smiling. This list will be promoted on Twitter and on the Facebook Page Route66Travelers and also shared with the group Route 66 Travelers every time a new winner tweet and its author is added.